This Policy contains details about how PRB collects information about you when you visit any of our websites where this Policy is posted (each of which is a “Site”), visit or make a purchase at our stores (each of which is a “Store”), or otherwise contact or interact with us offline (“Offline Services”). This Policy collectively refers to every Site, Store, and all Offline Services as the "Services." This Policy also explains how PRB uses and shares your information, as well as your ability to access and control certain uses of it.
For ease of reference, you may click on any of the following links to jump to one of the sections addressed below:
- Services We Provide
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Information
- Information We Share
- Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Information
- Data Security
- International Concerns
- Third Party Content, Links, and Plug-ins
- Contact Us
PRB may make changes to this Policy at any time. When we do, we will post the change(s) on our Site, in our Store or within our businesses, or through other messages you receive from us as part of the Services. Please visit this page from time to time so that you will be aware of any changes. Any changes will be immediately incorporated into this Policy. It is your obligation to ensure that you read, understand and agree to the latest version of the Policy. The effective date, as well as the last updated date, appear at the top of the Policy.
By continuing to use our Services after any changes are made to this Policy, you are accepting the changes to the Policy. If any of the changes are unacceptable to you, you should stop using our Services. If we make any significant changes to the Policy, we will provide appropriate notice to you and seek your permission before using information collected from you according to the newer, modified version of the Policy.
Our Services include all services and products delivered on or through our Site, services rendered as a result of a visit or transaction at our Store, and services provided through interactions involving our Offline Services, which include the sale of pet foods and pet supplies, as well as other pet-related items and services, including dog grooming and dog self-washing services.
We collect personally identifiable information, as defined below, in the following ways:
Personally Identifiable Information You Provide
The personally identifiable information we collect from you depends on how you use our Services. Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”) is generally defined as information that, by itself or in combination with other information, may be able to identify you or could reasonably be associated with you or your accounts.
There are areas of our Services where you may be asked to provide PRB with PII. For example, PRB may collect PII (and other related information) such as name, mailing and/or shipping address(es), date of birth, email address, marital status, military status, business or organizational information, telephone number, credit/debit card number or other payment information, purchase history, Internet Protocol (“IP”) or Media Access Control (“MAC”) address, mobile device identifier or other unique device identifier of any of your computer(s) or device(s) that are used to access the Services, geolocation, software version, phone model, phone operating system, carrier information, and the domain name from which you accessed the Services, pet information including age or gender, photographs, location and/or communications preferences, and to generate a username and password from you when you:
- Create a Site account or join a customer loyalty program through the Services or through a PRB-operated mobile app on your phone, tablet or other device;
- Purchase products or services at a Store or through our other retail outlets;
- Install a PRB-operated mobile app on your device;
- Communicate with PRB or contact us with questions, complaints or other inquiries;
- Contact our customer service help desk;
- Apply for employment;
- Complete the “Email Sign Up” box or opt-in to receive SMS/MMS messages from PRB;
- Sign up to receive newsletters and other promotions;
- Participate in contests and other marketing campaigns;
- Submit a review of a product we sell or advertise;
- Participate in PRB customer surveys; and/or
- Interact with or follow us on one of PRB’s social media accounts.
You may also provide us with certain information in connection with specific transactions:
- Store Visits. If you schedule an appointment or bring your pet to our Store, such as for grooming or a wellness event, we may collect additional information about your pet.
- Information About a Third Party. If you register for our pet gift registry, we will collect information about your pets and about the products in which you are interested. If you send someone a gift through our pet gift registry, PRB may collect information about your purchase and about the gift recipient.
Information Automatically Collected
PRB may collect certain PII and other information electronically when you interact with our Site, email, mobile applications, social media accounts, online advertising, or through the use of PRB’s or a third party’s technologies, which include cookies, web beacons, clear GIFs, pixel tags, log files, HTML5 and other technologies. Such automatically collected information, some of which may be considered PII, includes the following, without limitation: your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit or use the Site; and the referring webpage that led you to our Site.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
Cookies. Cookies are small files that are transferred to your computer through your web browser to help keep track of your visits to and how you use our Site or other online Services. Some cookies allow PRB to make it easier for you to navigate our Services, while others are used to help you log-in faster or to allow us to track your activities at our online Services. You may be able to disable cookies by consulting your browser and/or computer instructions. Please note that any disabling of cookies could affect how the Site or other online Services appear and/or operate for you. There are two types of cookies that we use:
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into our Services. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests, and to verify your identity.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity on our Site.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, and these technologies function in a way that is similar to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs, or pixel tags), in connection with our Site or other online Services to, among other things, track the activities of visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage. We and our third-party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our users to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
Third-Party Ad Networks/Targeted Advertising
Users in the United States and Canada may opt out of many third-party ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) Consumer Choice Page, or DAA Canada (“DAAC”) Opt-Out Tool, for information about opting out of targeted advertising and the choices you have regarding information circulated among DAA companies and DAAC companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of targeted advertising and the choices you have regarding information circulated among NAI members. Please note that when using these ad industry opt-out tools, you may need to execute the opt-out on each browser or device that you use.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page, DAAC Opt-Out Tool, or the NAI Consumer Opt-Out Page will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of targeted content or ads, but it does not mean you stop receiving ads through our Site or on other websites. You may continue to receive ads, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt-out on the DAA, DAAC or NAI websites, your opt-out may not be effective.
Information Collected in Other Ways
We may collect information from trusted third parties, such as our marketing partners or other sources to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically. This may include information to validate or update your shipping address or other demographic information. Certain service providers, we trust also may collect and process information from you on our behalf when you use certain parts of the Site, such as when you submit a product review.
We may collect PII and other information through various types of technologies used in our Store. These can include our point-of-sale systems, video surveillance or other similar types of technologies (including, for example, anonymous video analytics which allows us to track the number of individuals in our stores and consider certain demographic information about our customer base on an anonymous basis) which we may use from time to time. PRB may engage in such physical tracking in order to generally identify your location in our store or your close proximity to it for marketing, to generate coupons and other offers, for analytical purposes and to prompt our associates as to which customers may need help.
We may use PII and other information collected from or about you for any of the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes;
- To improve your online shopping experience, to tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Services;
- To review the usage and operations of our Services, develop new products or services, and conduct analysis to enhance or improve our Services;
- To process and administer our customer loyalty program;
- To communicate with you about PRB surveys, contests, sweepstakes and other promotions;
- To send you marketing and promotional communications such as newsletters and special offers, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you, including information about third party products and services;
- To better understand and improve how users access and interact with our Services, and for other research and analytical purposes;
- To protect the security or integrity of the Services and our business;
- To comply with legal obligations, as part of our general business operations, and for other business administration purposes;
- To process product reviews you submit on or through the Site;
- To communicate with you regarding additional uses of your PII beyond the scope of this list; and/or
- For other purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
Except as indicated below, PRB does not sell or share your PII with any person or entity outside of PRB.
PRB may share PII with our affiliates or subsidiaries for promotional and marketing purposes. This PII may include your name and contact information, as well as information about your purchases and preferences. If we share PII with our affiliates and subsidiaries, their use and disclosure of your PII will be subject to this Policy. For details on how you may be able to opt-out of this sharing, please see Section 6, below.
In the course of providing our programs, products, promotions, contests, events and other aspects of the Services, PRB may share PII with service providers (including affiliates acting in this capacity). These service providers help us operate our business, technology systems and applications, internal procedures, infrastructure and advertising and marketing. They provide services to us such as the administration and processing of our customer loyalty programs, customer surveys, data hosting, e-commerce operations, payment processing, contest administration, email deployment, product reviews, marketing, and processing or analysis of PII and other data. PRB requires these service providers to limit their access to and/or use of PII to what is required to provide their services and to comply with our privacy requirements. Our service providers may be located in the United States or Canada.
PRB may provide certain aspects of the Services through arrangements with third parties. As a result, your PII may be shared with the applicable third party. These third parties may have their own privacy policies and terms and conditions, which will govern their use of your PII. You will be informed of the specific third-party arrangement when signing up for the relevant program, product or service so that you can review the appropriate privacy policies. Examples of such third-party arrangements are set out below.
Co-Branded Relationships. Certain areas of our Services may be provided to you in association with third parties, such as advertisers that provide products and services or rewards programs. We may share information with these third parties if you participate in a co-branded, co-sponsored, or jointly presented promotion, contest, survey, voting feature, or service.
Sweepstakes, Contests, and Promotions. If you choose to enter into one of our sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions (a “Promotion”) through the Services, we may disclose your information to third parties (such as prize suppliers or co-sponsors) or the public (for example, to announce winners) in connection with the administration of such Promotion, as required by law, as otherwise permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, or otherwise in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
C.Other Permitted Reasons
PRB may also share information in the following circumstances:
- Business Transfers: If we are acquired by or merged with another company, or if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to such other company.
- In Response to Legal Process: We or our service providers may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with United States, Canadian or foreign laws applicable to us or our service providers, including in connection with a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
- To Protect PRB and Others: We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our respective terms or conditions of use or this Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which PRB is involved.
User Generated Content
If you post content on our Site or through our other online Services, everything you post may become publicly available. We cannot prevent any information or content you post online from being copied by others and used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
In connection with PRB’s collection and use of your PII, you have the right:
- to request access to or correction of the PII in PRB’s custody or control;
- to withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your PII, subject to contractual and legal restrictions;
- to request details on the specific pieces of PII that PRB has collected about you;
- to request that PRB delete or properly dispose of copies of PII it has collected about you; and
- to not be discriminated against, in terms of the services and prices offered on or through our Services, because you exercised these rights regarding the collection, use and sharing of your PII.
If you would like to access, review, edit, delete or have us properly dispose of any copies of the PII that PRB collected about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (if available on a particular Site) you may be able to review and make certain changes regarding your collected PII by editing your information and preferences on the "My Account" page.
You may be able to opt-out of PRB sharing your PII with the entities identified in Section 5, above, by sending PRB an email to email@example.com, unless the sharing of your PII is necessary to perform one of the following business purposes: to count ad impressions and evaluate their effectiveness; to detect, protect against, and prosecute security incidents; to debug or troubleshoot functional errors that may arise with the Services; to complete short-term tasks related to an existing interaction you have with PRB; to maintain or service your account; to process payments and fulfill orders or other transactions you authorize; verify your customer information; and to ensure the safety and quality of the Services.
Please note that PRB will do its best to accommodate any request to delete or properly dispose of any copies of your PII, but we cannot guarantee we can eliminate all PII from the specified uses. Therefore, please be as specific as possible in any request to delete or dispose of copies of your PII. If the request relates to information that PRB needs to make our Services function properly for you, you may no longer be able to use the Services.
PRB reserves the right to maintain proper business records as required by law, or for otherwise legitimate business purposes to the extent permitted by law, even if such records contain your PII.
PRB does not knowingly collect any information from minors, and the Services are not directed at or intended for minors. If a minor uploads or posts information to our Site or through our Services which is publicly available, and then wants that same information deleted, destroyed or otherwise properly disposed, the minor has a right to request that such information be removed from public viewing. Minors who wish to request the removal of their information should submit their request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any removal of content by PRB does not ensure or guarantee complete or comprehensive removal of the content in all places. The content may have been shared or reposted by other parties, or federal, provincial or state law may require maintenance of the content or information.
Do-Not-Track. Currently, PRB’s systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests.
To opt-out of marketing communications we send to your email address or mobile device, you may use one of these methods:
- Electronic Promotional Offers. If you do not want to receive emails from PRB regarding special promotions or offers, you may (i) click the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email we send you; or (ii) contact us using the information listed in the “Contact Us” section below. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out, we may still send you emails about your account, rewards earned or forfeited, and/or any services you have requested or received from us.
- Mobile Promotional Offers. With your consent, we may send you marketing via text message to the mobile phone number you provided to PRB. Standard data and message rates will apply. If you no longer wish to receive mobile alerts from us, you can (i) follow the instructions provided in those messages or otherwise reply STOP to any PRB alert; or (ii) contact us using the information listed in the “Contact Us” section below.
Notice to Nevada Residents. Nevada law allows consumers to direct certain businesses not to sell their PII to third parties to license or sell that information to additional third parties. If you are a Nevada resident, you may submit such opt-out requests to email@example.com. To be effective, your request must include your full name, address, phone number, and email address. PRB will endeavor to respond to your verified request within 60 days of receiving the request. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, PRB may need to extend this period by up to 30 days. If an extension is reasonably necessary, PRB will notify you of this during the initial 60-day period. PRB does not currently sell your PII.
Our Services implement, use and maintain reasonable physical, administrative, and technical steps to safeguard the information we collect from and about our customers and Site visitors. These security measures are reasonably designed to help secure your PII from loss, unauthorized access or disclosure, both in storage and in transmission.
While PRB takes the issue of protecting your PII seriously, please be aware that security cannot be totally guaranteed. You should exercise discretion in what information you disclose and/or transmit online. PRB cannot guarantee that information sent over the Internet is fully secure. The transmitted information may be intercepted by others before it reaches PRB. If you are concerned about sending information to PRB over the Internet, please send the information by mail or call us to make other arrangements. PRB is not responsible for the security of information sent over the Internet.
PRB retains collected information for a reasonable amount of time in order to fulfill the stated purpose for why the information was collected. PRB will also retain collected information connected to business records for periods of time required by law. If PRB determines that collected information is no longer needed, it will properly delete or dispose of any copies of such information. Our collection times will be consistent with applicable law.
Our Services are intended for individuals in the United States who are 18 years of age or older, and in Canada who are over the age of majority.
Our Services are not designed for, directed at, marketed to, nor intended for, children under 13 years of age. PRB does not knowingly collect any information, including PII, from children under 13 years of age. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with PII or related information, we will delete such information from our systems, and/or we will destroy or otherwise properly dispose of any copies of such information.
Our Services are meant for individuals within the United States or Canada. PRB only knowingly collects information from individuals within the United States or Canada. If you provide information to PRB from outside these jurisdictions, you do so at your own risk. If you are outside of the United States and Canada, you are responsible for complying with any local laws regarding your use of our Site and Services, and any related data collection. You also agree and acknowledge that by providing any information, including PII, on the Site or through the Services, that such information will be transmitted to, and stored in, the United States.
Certain parts of our Services may have links to third-party websites, applications or other online services, including those embedded in third party advertisements or sponsor information, which are not controlled by PRB and which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. PRB is not responsible for the privacy practices and data collection policies of such third-party services. You should consult the privacy policies of those third-party services for details.
PRB may also allow interaction between our Services and other online services such as social media providers. This may include “Like” buttons or other plugins available through the Services that allow you to share information with persons outside of the Site or our other online Services. Please consult the privacy policies of such third-party providers before using them to make sure you are comfortable with the level of sharing.
PRB operates retail stores in the United States and Canada through its related companies Pet Valu Canada, Inc. (“Pet Valu Canada”), Pet Valu, Inc. (“Pet Valu US”) and Pet Supermarket, Inc. (“Pet Supermarket”).
Pet Valu Canada operates and franchises retail stores in Canada under the banners: “Pet Valu”, “Paulmac’s Pets,” “Bosley’s by Pet Valu,” “Total Pet,” and “Tisol.” Pet Valu Canada is the controller of PII collected at retail stores in Canada that are owned by Pet Valu and at all retail stores in Canada where the PII is collected in connection with the Your Rewards ™ program. As independent businesses, Pet Valu Canada’s franchisees control PII collected at their stores (other than in connection with the Your Rewards ™ program) and are responsible under applicable laws for adopting their own privacy policies to protect your PII in a manner consistent with this Policy.
Pet Valu Canada is the controller of the information collected from the following websites: “petvalu.com;” “paulmacs.com;” “bosleys.com;” “tisol.ca;” “totalpet.ca;” “performatrin.com;” “headtotaildaily.com;” and “franchise.petvalu.com.”
Pet Valu US operates retail stores in the United States under the “Pet Valu” banner. Pet Valu US is the controller of PII collected at these retail stores. Pet Valu US is also the controller of the information collected from the website “store2.petvalu.com.”
Pet Supermarket operates retail stores in the United States under the “Pet Supermarket” banner. Pet Supermarket is the controller of PII collected at these retail stores. Pet Supermarket is also the controller of the information collected from the website “petsupermarket.com”.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this Policy, you can contact our Privacy Officer by:
- Calling Pet Retail Brands Customer Service at 905-946-1200;
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Writing us at 1100 International Pkwy, Sunrise Florida 33323
It is the policy of PRB to strictly enforce this Policy. If you believe there has been some violation of this Policy, please contact PRB.